About the Role
The National Hockey League seeks a recent (i.e., class of 2021 or 2022) law school graduate for a two-year legal clerkship program.
This role will participate as a member of the League's internal legal team with exposure to a broad range of matters, including business transactions, labor and employment law, intellectual property, licensing transactions, financing matters, corporate governance and compliance, and other matters.
· Participating in drafting and negotiating sessions for various corporate documents;
· Assisting with labor matters such as grievance hearings and other matters arising under the Collective Bargaining Agreement;
· Providing support on intellectual property matters, including clearances, licensees and trademarks (as appropriate);
· Reviewing and participating in policy and training development on corporate compliance matters;
· Participating in meetings with League management and Club personnel to provide legal and business advice;
· Working collaboratively with outside counsel;
· Providing support on internal employment and human resources matters; and
· Performing other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
This role must have the ability to work nights and weekends when necessary and to travel for business purposes.
· Recent (i.e., class of 2021 or 2022) graduate of an accredited Law School
· Unquestioned ethics, integrity, discretion and compliance with law.
· High level of commitment to quality work product.
· Excellent interpersonal and communication (both written and oral) skills.
· Ability to effectively manage multiple assignments, priorities and deadlines in a timely, efficient and effective manner, with attention to detail.
· Ability to reason through complex legal documents and arguments.
· Ability to distill relevant information and summarize in a clear coherent manner.
· Ability to develop and advocate League positions and respond to adversarial positions.
· Excellent organizational and project management skills.
· Law degree; Member of New York Bar or intention to sit for New York Bar Exam (or UBE)
· English; Multilingual a plus
About the Company
Founded in 1917, the National Hockey League (NHL®) is the premier professional ice hockey league in the world, and is one of the major professional sports leagues in the United States and Canada. With more than 600 employees across offices in New York, Toronto and Montreal, the NHL is a global sports and entertainment organization committed to building healthy and vibrant communities using the sport of hockey to celebrate fans of every race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, and socio-economic status. At the NHL, we are looking for dynamic, energetic and impactful individuals who are committed to doing the same by sharing in our philosophy that Hockey is for Everyone – and inclusion belongs on the ice, in the locker rooms, boardrooms and stands.