Mar 16, 2023
Former Georgia defensive tackle and top NFL draft prospect Jalen Carter reportedly won't be jailed after he pled no contest Thursday in his reckless driving and racing case, according to The Athletic's Seth Emerson. Carter will reportedly receive 12 months probation, pay a $1,000 fine, perform 80 hours of community service and finish a driving course as his sentence.
Carter was implicated in a car crash on Jan. 15. that left two dead — Georgia offensive lineman Devin Willock and a team staff member Chandler LeCroy. An arrest warrant was issued for Carter while he was at the NFL combine in Indianapolis on Mar. 5. Carter was booked and released after posting bond Wednesday night before he returned to Indianapolis on Thursday.
Reports indicate Carter was present at the scene of the accident, left before emergency personnel arrived and returned around 90 minutes later at the request of police but "gave shifting accounts of the wreck as an Athens police officer questioned him about whether he had been racing the car that crashed."
Kim Stephens, Carter's attorney, said in a statement Thursday that Carter "did not the cause the tragic accident" and "would have been charged with the far more serious offenses of vehicular homicide and serious injury by vehicle" if he had. She added that Carter "never left the scene of the accident without being told that he could leave" and "had not been drinking alcohol and was not under the influence of alcohol or any other illegal substance at the time of the wreck."
Source: Yahoo Sports