About the Role
• Lead all legal matters related to transactions, fund formation, general corporate, and regulatory matters
• Negotiate and review various contracts, including agreements with athletes, investors, vendors, and personnel
• Supervise one existing internal legal counsel and coordinate and manage external legal counsel
Compliance and Regulatory:
• Oversee the investment adviser compliance program for BLA, including implementing and periodically updating, monitoring and testing the Firm's compliance policies and programs
• Review marketing and sales material to ensure consistency and compliance with applicable laws, regulations, etc.
• Perform other business risk assessments such as investment approvals, conflicts of interest, valuations, various internal review/approval processes, cybersecurity, business continuity, records retention and email reviews, among others
• Prepare regulatory filings such as Form ADV, Blue Sky, Form D, Form PF
• Identify risks and conflicts of interest related to the Firm’s business models
• Manage external compliance consultant
• Maintain familiarity with current laws, rules, and regulations
• Provide counsel on human resources issues
• Interface with senior management and Board of Managers in all functional areas and governance
This position requires a skilled professional who has strong analytical and writing skills, an ability to multi-task and is an effective communicator.
About the Company
Big League Advantage (“BLA” or the “Firm”) is seeking a hands-on, pro-active leader to be responsible for overseeing the Firm’s legal and compliance activities. The role requires experience in investment management, regulatory compliance and contract negotiation and drafting.
ABOUT THE FIRM: The Firm is a data driven, sports-focused asset management firm founded in 2016 by Michael Schwimer, a former Major League Baseball player. The Firm’s primary focus is investing in professional baseball players and college and professional athletes in other sports, where for an initial up-front payment the Firm’s investment funds receive a future share of an athlete’s professional earnings.
Core to the Firm’s investment strategy is a team of data scientists and engineers who have developed extensive predictive models that include AI and machine learning.
BLA is headquartered in Washington, D.C. and the role will be located there.